The Russian military did not launch a mass drone attack on Ukraine overnight, marking the first such instance this year and signifying a notable departure from its typical tactics.
The development comes after U.S. President Donald Trump, who has moved swiftly to end the three-year conflict in Ukraine, expressed frustration over Moscow’s lack of cooperation in ending the war.
The last instance of Russia refraining from drone attacks was recorded in December.
Despite the pause in drone strikes, Russian forces continued heavy bombardment overnight, deploying glide bombs along Ukraine’s eastern regions of Sumy, Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk.
Andriy Kovalenko, head of the Center for Countering Disinformation, a state body tasked with combatting threats to Ukraine’s national security in the information sphere, confirmed the absence of Iranian-made Shahed UAVs.
However, he warned that this pause should not be interpreted as a sign of Russia’s willingness to agree to a comprehensive ceasefire.
“We continue to monitor. So far, this doesn’t mean anything,” Kovalenko said.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha accused Russia of violating the agreement on energy ceasefire on Tuesday.
“After Riyadh, one of the agreements with the U.S. was not to strike energy infrastructure. At the same time, Russia continues to violate this agreement,” Sybiha said. He added that on the morning of April 1, Russian shelling damaged an energy facility in Kherson, depriving over 45,000 households of electricity.
According to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Russia is unlikely to agree to an unconditional ceasefire within the next three weeks.
Moscow has also tied the recent Black Sea truce to lifting certain international sanctions.
Earlier, Bloomberg reported that Washington aims to secure a ceasefire in Ukraine by April 20.
The last instance of Russia refraining from drone attacks was recorded in December.
Despite the pause in drone strikes, Russian forces continued heavy bombardment overnight, deploying glide bombs along Ukraine’s eastern regions of Sumy, Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk.
Andriy Kovalenko, head of the Center for Countering Disinformation, a state body tasked with combatting threats to Ukraine’s national security in the information sphere, confirmed the absence of Iranian-made Shahed UAVs.
However, he warned that this pause should not be interpreted as a sign of Russia’s willingness to agree to a comprehensive ceasefire.
“We continue to monitor. So far, this doesn’t mean anything,” Kovalenko said.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha accused Russia of violating the agreement on energy ceasefire on Tuesday.
“After Riyadh, one of the agreements with the U.S. was not to strike energy infrastructure. At the same time, Russia continues to violate this agreement,” Sybiha said. He added that on the morning of April 1, Russian shelling damaged an energy facility in Kherson, depriving over 45,000 households of electricity.
According to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), Russia is unlikely to agree to an unconditional ceasefire within the next three weeks.
Moscow has also tied the recent Black Sea truce to lifting certain international sanctions.
Earlier, Bloomberg reported that Washington aims to secure a ceasefire in Ukraine by April 20.
More In Politics MORE...