Polish energy group Orlen has informed the prosecution service over what it says are irregularities by the company’s previous management that led to tens of billions of złoty in losses.
The accusations come amid a sweeping investigation into potential corruption and political interference under the previous Law and Justice (PiS) government.
Grupa Orlen, a powerhouse in Central and Eastern Europe, has launched an extensive audit of its operations under former CEO Daniel Obajtek and his team, covering the period from January 2016 to February 2024.
The nationalist PiS party stands accused of appointing apparatchiks to strategic companies, including Orlen. PiS ruled for eight years until 2023, during which Orlen’s senior management was regularly accused of prioritizing party policy over business interests.
The energy group said on Monday that to date, almost 120 audits have been initiated, both by external firms and the company’s own lawyers. It said 64 investigations have so far been completed with dozens still outstanding, though sufficient evidence has already surfaced for 16 notifications to have been made to the prosecution service with more expected.
The prosecutor’s office has been informed of possible crimes by Orlen’s former CEO, Daniel Obajtek, management board members and senior managers, Business Insider reported.
Among the deals questioned by Orlen’s auditing team is the takeover of kiosk chain Ruch, which Orlen said resulted in losses of almost a billion złoty (€240 million).
Prosecutors may also be notified about the editorial policy of another Orlen acquisition, local media company Polska Press, during the 2023 parliamentary election, financial paper Parkiet reported. Orlen alleges that Polska Press blocked political content along party lines.
Other possible crimes being investigated by Orlen include abuse of power, conflicts of interest, a media ‘blacklist,’ and unjustified expenditures, Business Insider reported, adding that further notifications to the prosecutor are being prepared.