Society

S.Korea, U.S. double troop size for drills to counter N.Korean nuclear threat

Photo by Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
Photo by Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images
podpis źródła zdjęcia

The South Korean and U.S. militaries kicked off their spring drills on Monday with twice the number of troops joining compared to last year, officials said. The allies seek to better counter North Korea's increasing nuclear and missile threats.

The Freedom Shield exercises, set for March 4–14, come as North Korea continues to develop its nuclear capabilities with missile and other weapons tests. It will also be the first since Pyongyang scrapped a 2018 inter-Korean military pact in November.

The allies' air forces also began their annual battalion-level exercises for a five-day run, Seoul's defense ministry said Monday.

The exercises are primarily aimed at neutralizing North Korea's nuclear threats, including by “identifying and striking” cruise missiles, which Pyongyang had indicated could carry nuclear warheads, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said last week. American strategic assets such as an aircraft carrier and bombers could participate, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said.

Pyongyang has angrily reacted to the allies' drills, calling them rehearsals for a nuclear war. Seoul and Washington say the exercises are defensive and a response to the North's threats.
Source: Reuters
More In Society MORE...