A Rwandan man accused of ordering the killing of some 2,000 Tutsis who were seeking refuge in a church during the 1994 genocide has been arrested in South Africa, a U.N. war crimes tribunal and South African police said on Thursday.
Former police officer Fulgence Kayishema had been on the run since 2001 when the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) indicted him for genocide over his role in the destruction of the Nyange Catholic Church in Kibuye Prefecture.
“His arrest ensures that he will finally face justice for his alleged crimes,” said Serge Brammertz, prosecutor at the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT), which has replaced the ICTR since it wound up in 2008.
Rwanda genocide fugitive Fulgence Kayishema was arrested Wednesday in South Africa after 29 years on the run, according to United Nations investigators. https://t.co/pOTBnqQAXl— CBS News (@CBSNews) May 25, 2023
An estimated 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and Hutu moderates were killed during Rwanda’s genocide, orchestrated by an extremist Hutu regime and meticulously executed by local officials and ordinary citizens in the rigidly hierarchical society.
Finally. “The indictment says Fulgence Kayishema bought & distributed petrol to burn down the church while refugees were inside. Kayishema & others are also accused of using a bulldozer to collapse the church following the fire.” #Kwibuka29 https://t.co/BULknYFC0t— Yolande Makolo 🇷🇼 (@YolandeMakolo) May 25, 2023