The United States on Friday said they would protect their personnel in Syria after the U.S. military carried out air strikes against Iran-backed forces in retaliation for an attack that killed an American contractor and wounded five U.S. troops.
There was a new missile attack on another U.S. base in northeast Syria, according to reports, just one day after the attack on American forces in Syria, which Washington attributed to an Iranian-made drone.
According to John Kirby, the White House national security spokesman, it was ineffective and there were no new American casualties.
Later on Friday, more locations in eastern Syria were the target of suspected American rocket attacks, but no injuries were reported, according to two local sources.
The violence could further aggravate already strained relations between Washington and Tehran, with efforts to revive a nuclear deal between Iran and major powers stalled, and Iranian drones being used by Russia against Ukraine.
“We’re going to work to protect our people and our facilities as best we can. It’s a dangerous environment,” Kirby told CNN.
The Pentagon had said U.S. F-15 jets on Thursday attacked two facilities used by groups affiliated with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the war in Syria, said the U.S. strikes had killed eight pro-Iranian fighters.
Iran’s state Press TV said no Iranians had been killed and quoted local sources as saying the target was not an Iran-aligned military post, but that a rural development center and a grain center near a military airport had been hit.