July 4 shooting in Chicago suburb: fatalities and multiple injuries reported

Gunfire erupted at a Fourth of July parade route in the wealthy Chicago suburb of Highland Park, Lake County, on Monday.

As of 3.30 pm CT (10.30 pm CEST) the number of fatalities stands at six. The number of injured varies depending on the source: from at least 24 to 31.

According to NorthShore Evanston Hospital spokesperson Jim Anthony “The vast majority suffered gunshot wounds. Remaining individuals sustained injuries as a result of chaos at the parade.”

The shooter opened fire from a rooftop. A high-powered rifle was recovered at the scene. The suspect remains at large.

Law enforcement advised people to stay out of the area and remain indoors.

“We are aggressively looking for the individual responsible,” sheriff's department spokesperson Christopher Covelli told journalists. “He could be in the city; he could be somewhere else.” The Lake County Sherrif published the suspect's description on their Twitter account: The law enforcement requested that those who were at the parade review any videos they may have recorded or pictures taken during the parade in the hope that it will help identify the perpetrator.

The parade was suddenly halted when shots were fired about 10 minutes after it began and panicked people scattered for safety. One cellphone video recorded what sounded to be about 30 rapid shots, a pause, and then another roughly 30 shots.



US Representative Brad Schneider, whose district includes Highland Park, said he and his campaign team had been gathering at the start of the parade when the shooting started.

“Hearing of loss of life and others injured. My condolences to the family and loved ones; my prayers for the injured and for my community,” Schneider said on Twitter. “Enough is enough!” “Our community was terrorized by an act of violence that has shaken us to our core,” said Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering at a press conference “Our hearts go out to the families of the victims during this devastating time.”

“Jill [Biden, the First Lady] and I are shocked by the senseless gun violence that has yet again brought grief to an American community on this Independence Day," US President Joe Biden said in a statement. “I have spoken to [Illinois] Governor Pritzker and Mayor Rotering, and have offered the full support of the Federal government to their communities. I also surged Federal law enforcement to assist in the urgent search for the shooter.”

source: